Saturday, October 23, 2010

Playing Catch-Up - Shakespeare and His Contemporaries - Session 1 - 5 Oct (first hour only)

Rubrics:
-Commerical Theater
-Assesments
-Relationship between Practical/Academic

This marked our first official class... and it pretty much summed up what we had done the day before in our MFA Staging Shakespeare Intro session. We got to “meet” the undergrads, and by that I mean we got to hear their names as Mick (Magan, the instructor for the course) read them off of the roll.

We then briefly discussed our assesments for the class. The first being a Practical Production/presentation that incorporates multiple texts from the reading lists. It’s still unclear as what this is actually going to turn out to be. Most likely an exploration of theme or type of character, either way it will be good practice at combining texts for my “Heavy Lies the Head” production concept. The other part of our overall grade is what I am writing now. A journal/diary/random thoughts of class going session by session. This will be 4000-5000 words long and just be our own reflection. I’m going to be attempting to do this for all my classes and post it up on my Musings from the Motherland blog.

Finally, the postgraduates ended our session with Mick briefly discussing why he doesn’t ask for us to attend class in black/neutral movement clothes. It is his belief, and an opinion with which I happen to agree, is that by putting on that ‘uniform’ sets a tone and a mindset that, “I’m here to move, not to think and produce.” He still wants us in clothes that we can move in so that we can still do all the work we have to do on our feet.

But it just confirms for me that this is the right program for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment